Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 3 takeaways from parents who have been there"

2019cubdad posted:

Great answers! I have a question to the parents. How many times did RC's tell your sons "you are my number 1 in class of 20XX". So far my son has heard that three times from 3 different schools. So far, one school has completely stopped texting/calling after some great conversations and promises to see him play. Others are still very interested and continue their weekly chats.

Today he says to me, "Dad, my favorite coach is the one that talks to me about everything BUT baseball. I think I would like to play for him. He always asked about you and mom and knows <insert sisters name> by name."  Fun watching him mature through this.

Commonly heard:  "you're at the top of my list" (along with how many others??).....  With certain colleges, the coaches need to hear the player say: "you're at top of my list" or "you're my number one school", before the HC or RC proceeds with an offer.  I especially found this applicable to the top academics...... The HC and RC are trying to ferret out is the player down to 1-2 schools, or is he still shopping his whole targeted college list.  If the player is still shopping a big list of schools, some of the higher academics will back off because they know the player still has a lot of "homework" to do (i.e., hasn't visited a lot of schools, and the player waking up to the fact all the spots at ND and Harvard are gone).

Great to have a favorite coach like your son is talking about, but buyer beware... how long has the coach been at the school, how do you like the AC's, AND, how does your son like the college if baseball is GONE?