Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 3 takeaways from parents who have been there"

9and7dad posted:

One thing I'd add - very early in the process I had him set up a separate email address that we both had access to.  It was the address he used for all things college and recruiting related.  I didn't want to access his regular email address with all the facebook updates, etc.  But having a separate email for all things college and baseball meant we both had it in our phones and we could both follow contacts and responses.  I would NEVER respond for him, but it was good to be able to track who was in touch, how often, and the speed and quality of his responses back to them.

Bingo!! Did the same.... name2018@gmail.com....add to your gmail account so you can monitor...kids are not accustomed to checking emails...this way the parent can alert the player and hopefully respond quickly.  He initiated with alerts, became accustomed to them, then we agreed which emails needed to be responded to, and when.  

This was also helpful when son would create an email, the parents would edit keeping his messaging, then son would send sample email to me.  I'd pull it up on my Iphone to see how the email was coming across.  I'd show son, and he'd rethink what he was sending and his formatting.....