Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 30 Picks"

It's great having friends! Smile

The truth is, none of us really knows for sure what might have happened if a player did not attend a PG event. We only know what happened to those who did attend!

Who’s to say they might have been drafted in a different position or not at all. Here are some facts.

Our National Showcase has had over 60 first rounders in the past 5 years. For many of these players it is the very first time they’ve been seen by MLB Scouting Directors and top College programs. Yes, it’s their ability that gets them noticed, but the FACT is they’ve just been put on the National Stage! The East Coast Pro and Area Codes then picks up these players, some get selected for the Aflac Classic, and they become even higher profile prospects. It all has to start somewhere.

One thing should be obvious… Nearly every single high school player drafted in the first few rounds has participated in a PG event. So out of the millions who don’t attend PG events, the entire scouting community is finding one maybe two top round players.

We are not claiming credit for this, but don’t you find this rather odd! That nearly every top player has this one thing in common! It doesn’t make sense to think the same exact thing would have happened the same exact way, does it? Everything a player does has some kind of affect on his future.

In my last post you can read who we think is most responsible for the players talent. Someone still has to find them and evaluate them. That is what we do. Our evaluations are regarded highly by MLB clubs and colleges. Even the agents Vance!

Over 350 players who attended PG events were drafted in the 18 rounds yesterday. I can guarantee you, there are some who would not have been drafted in the first 18 rounds no matter what! Then there are many who might have been drafted, but in a different slot. Listen… Scouts, scout players. We respect scouts and what they do. We provide information to the scouting community. We have two thirds of the 30 MLB Scouting Directors on our committee. Guess someone could say we have nothing to do with the process, but that’s because they just don’t get it! We get way too many emails and calls thanking us for what has happened to their son. We tell every one of them... Thank your son, he is who is most responsible!

I don’t want to argue about this. I personally am not involved because of money so I wish that wasn't mentioned. If I were we wouldn’t spend as much as we do to improve what we do and we wouldn't live in such a high stress situation. Money is not enough of an incentive for me.

Watching young players succeed is what it’s all about. The draft is just one of many ways a young player can be successful. There are several former PG participants who later ended up working for us. It’s not all about pure talent, it’s about young men, especially good young men.

Here is an email I received yesterday (we get tons of them). This one is from a father who played professional baseball for 20 years including in several years in the Big Leagues. He has a son who was drafted yesterday. I asked him for permission to post this here, because this is what it’s all about. Go ahead and call it a trophy if you want!

Dear Jerry, Betty, Andy, Jason & the rest of the PG Family,

On behalf of my wife, Glenn and myself I wanted to drop you a note and thank you for all that you have done to enhance Glenn’s opportunities over the past few years. If it were not for the Sunshine East a couple years back I would not have even thought to put Glenn in these events. The entire experience led to him being drafted today and I cannot begin to describe the joy in his face. I am not sure what will happen from here, none of us do, but I do know that without people like yourselves not even this day could have been possible.

Thanks again

The Gibson Family