Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 40 College Programs"

I figure I'd miss a few. Guess I didn't spend a lot of time researching this. In fact... NONE!

Kind of mad that I missed Long Beach State, Irvine, Riverside, and maybe another one or two. I agree that a few more California teams could be added. And of course USD is a top 10 type team right now.

If I were to do a top 40 as of today, it would include many different teams. But was trying to figure out what people perceive to be the top 40 overall rather than just right now. In other words the top schools that young players seem to be most interested in.

Dad04, I usually agree with you, but I really do think Michigan, Notre Dame, Georgia and Tennessee belong in the top 40 if you look at the past several years. Michigan was a big power in baseball, was down for awhile, but them along with Notre Dame and Nebraska are the top three North schools for baseball right now with Minnesota and even Ohio State maybe in the top 50 or 60. Michigan has had over 70 Major League players. Georgia actually won the National Championship in 1990 and the SEC Championship in 2001 and 2004. Tennessee has done well in National Championships and has won a couple SEC titles too. Notre Dame has played in over 80 ncaa tournament games and won the Big East title every year from 2002 thru 2006. Also played in the College World Series in 2002.

IMO there is more than how well a team does to being recognized top 40 program. Support, facilities, competition, media coverage, pumping out draft picks, etc. all play a part.

Coastal Carolina has been very good, and would be on a top 40 list of top teams over the past few years. I know it's a great program and close to home for many here, but let's face it, they went 30-27 in 2006 and they didn't play an SEC or ACC schedule. They sure were good last year and should be again this year, maybe a top 40 now, but not overall, everything considered IMO.

Winthrop... Top 40? They might be real good, but top 40 program? I just don't think of Winthrop winning many recruiting battles against the top 40 types. But they were very good a couple years ago. Last year they were 18-21 outside the Big South Conference. The Big South has the aforementioned Coastal Carolina (a power these days), Winthrop (very good), Birmingham Southern (good), VMI (good at times), Liberty (new coach and he is a good one, former assistant South Carolina), Radford, Charleston Southern, High Point (has had some success) UNC Ashville. As good as these teams are at times, this is not top 40 territory IMO. Sorry!

I'm glad someone posted Boyd's list! Think I'll go with that one instead of mine. Oddly enough I did hit 35 of his top 40. I'm sure he spent much more time figuring things out. BTW, how does Boyd figure that SOS, (ie. Oklahoma State 59 - Texas 8 - Baylor 9) Aren't they in the same conference?

Mine was just putting a list together for conversation sake. Looks like it worked!
I am a big Coastal Carolina fan, too.