Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 40 College Programs"

You know, how silly of me. I went across the street, had a beer, and I am still upset which is very unusual for me. I can get hot in a hurry but I normally cool down just as fast. Maybe I hang around the hsbbweb too much. Most of the topics have all repeated themselves many times over since I have been here and maybe I have worn out my welcome.

Lately, it seems that "rankings" especially from high profile showcases are what dominate the site. We have gone from a site where a kid announced what school he signed with to now announcing what their "rankings are" in addition to where they signed. Perhaps if you don't have one of those rankings you are not any good. I don't believe the rankings cover every player, and I don't believe they predict who the best teams are simply by adding up who scored the highest ranking recruits. Somewhere, someone has to play and perform. I will agree that the rankings often follow the best teams but I know for a fact they do not always predict who the best players are nor do they predict exactly who the best programs are.

To follow up on my Big South analysis in my post above, Winthrop also had two other players transfer along with Alex Wilson this year. One transferred to Arizona State and the other to Texas A&M with Wilson. Those were all junior transfers so Winthrop was at least half ways decent enough to attract two Big 12 players and 1 Pac 10 player.

Since Coastal does not play an ACC or SEC type schedule, let's at least consider the schedule they do play this year which is typical for them:

2 games versus Maryland
2 games versus Virginia Tech
2 games versus Wake Forest
2 games versus Virginia
3 games versus Georgia Tech
1 game against Clemson
1 game against North Carolina
1 game against North Carolina State

That's 14 of their 56 games against the ACC which is 25% of their schedule and almost all of these are on the road. They also will play Michigan for two games and I believe five other teams who made regionals or super regionals last year. Not an ACC schedule for sure.

I feel even worse now that I typed all this out but feel compelled to post it. I hope that no one ever holds what I have said or posted against my son. He loves baseball more than life and I hope I never do anything to harm that.