Skip to main content

Reply to "Top Juco or DIV-1 University?"

Sportsbuff,

You are way wrong here. I never said anything about anyone being dumb or any reference to intelligence. All I ever said was that players that go to JUCOs and plan on transferring need to be disciplined when selecting classes and realize that not all grades will transfer. They need to be aware of the eligibilty requirements upon entering the 4 Yr. institution. BTW, the basketweaving reference was towards my own son.

Many players and parents coming out of HS just figure that the kid will go JUCO for two years and then transfer. It's not that easy if they aren't aware of what they need to do to transfer. If the kid takes all PE credits and minimal classroom credits, he's going to be seriously behind the eight ball when he applies to a 4 Yr. school unless he plans on getting a degree in PE or some similar field.

I agree that JUCOs serve their purpose both academically and athletically (heck, I graduated from one!!!!), but I also guarantee you that many coaches at 4 Yr. schools have fallen in love with JUCO players only to find out they are not eligible. It happened up here rather famously at St. Bonaventure University and their basketball program a couple of years ago. The kid had a welding certificate, was allowed entrance, and it was later ruled he was ineligible to play D-1 basketball. I believe the team had to fofeit all their games he played in and I know the coach was let go.

If you actually read my posts, you would see that is what I am saying. Heck, my son has a hard time spelling ACT much less scoring a 30 on it.