Skip to main content

Reply to "Top New England College Players in 2008"

From kids I've seen last spring and more frequently in the summer I'd have to say the five returning players that stuck out were....

Ryan Lavarnway OF/C - Yale
-- A feared hitter, Ryan gives that presence when he walks up to the plate that he is going to get a hit every time. I've seen him catch once and play outfield twice and I just don't see him as a catcher, but hey I only saw him play there once. I could watch him hit all day though as he gives hope to all the believers of a slightly closed stance (Slightly closed believers have to look out for one another as they are few these days). Beyond the numbers, the kid attends Yale, which has to attract professional scouts. 5 Star Prospect

Scott Savastano SS/3B - Franklin Pierce
-- Savastano had a tough break with an injury in an early season game at Franklin Pierce that kind of disrupted his year. This kid is really good though and looks like the type of kid that will not only play at the next level, but will succeed when he gets there. 4 1/2 Star Prospect

Brendan Akashian C - Holy Cross
-- I have seen Akashian play at college and in the summer and have been overly impressed each time. His Mo Vaughn-like stance makes him fun to watch hit, but not for other teams. He is as pure of a hitter I've seen in New England. Teamed with outstanding defense and an extremely strong arm, Brendan looks to have an exciting future. 4 1/2 Star Prospect

Shawn Gilblair P - Eastern Conn
-- There is something to be said about a lefty pitcher that just gets out after out after out. I saw Shawn pitch in the NECBL this summer three times and he was outstanding every time. He doesn't throw overly hard, but his movement is unreal for a lefty. More importantly he has that special 'pitching sense' we see less and less these days. A crafty lefty with a promising future Shawn shows that there are some real talents in colleges lower levels. 4 Star Prospect

Mike Tamsin 1B/DH/OF - Northeastern
-- A lefty hitter that just absolutely mashes. Tamsin struggled a bit in the cape, but so did half the major leaguers that play pro ball right now. He is going to be so much better for competing at that level that I predict an even bigger year then he had for the Huskies last year. The only problem is the athleticism question, but as good as a hitter as advertised. 4 Star Prospect