Skip to main content

Reply to "Top New England College Players in 2008"

quote:
Originally posted by JRScout:
There are two kids I've noticed while Umpiring games in an Independent League last year that left me wondering why these kids weren't in some minor league system already.

This kid is by far the best catcher I have ever seen in any leagues.

So even though only one of them actually plays college ball. These two could easily main a spot for Minor League teams. (In Lorenzo's case someone needs to convince him to play some college ball because in all honesty he is the best catcher I've seen in the past 14 years I've umpired).

With all due respect JR, if all you've ever seen of these kids is some swings in a cage and some games from behind the plate, how well do you really know them? Do you know how "coachable" they are? How are they in the dugout? What is their level of desire? If this boy Lorenzo is the best you've EVER seen, is 22 and has never played in college, then why? I'd add also that at 22, if someone "convinces him to go to college" then the clock is REALLY running. The standout ball players these days are breaking into the MAJORS at 22. I was watching a game just last night where the commentator (Joe Morgan I believe) was commenting on a 24 or 25 year old rookie saying that "that's not young for a rookie". Sounds to me like the pitcher is where he wants to be, playing in college. If he's really good enough to play in "the minors" which seems to be the be-all and end-all to you, then someone will find him. Especially if that radar gun you have in your head that estimates his speeds is accurate, though I know some scouts who would want a few more mph on the fastball and a little more separation between the slider and curve.
So, how many minor league games have you umped that make you believe these boys can play at that level?