Skip to main content

Reply to "Torso Turn"

quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
The teaching that my Son recieves encourages him to stay "stacked" and not leaning over to reach a pitch. We let the outside pitches get deeper and take them the opposite way. His posture is more upright maintaining balance throughout the swing.
If he is leaning over we believe he is "bleeding" power from his swing.

The method works well for him. You can see a clip of him in this forum under "video of my Son".

It is not a rotational approach, nor is it a linear approach. But it is his approach.

The hitting instructor that works with my Son is very particular about having my Son's hands begin moving toward the hitting zone before his front shoulder moves. My guy has a difficult time with that sometimes, starting his shoulder to turn fractionally before his hands start moving. If his shoulder begins first, the arguement is that this in turn slows down his batspeed.

I like your son's swing---a lot.

I happen to think that since he is getting instruction that has him swinging the way he is now and it includes a thought of the hands "getting going" then his instructor is doing a fine job. Your son is interpreting the thought very well, IMO.
That is a very good thing. I like it.

A constant bellowing of "be careful using the words--- "use the hands" --- is tiresome as well as inaccurate.

It is not a taboo thing to talk about the hands and your son is evidence of that.

The way / the manner in which his hands start to the hitting zone (to use your words) is quite good. Few younger hitters do this.
Kudos to your son and his instructor.

I like his swing, florida fan. A lot.