Skip to main content

Reply to "Total annual pitch count question"

I went back and looked at 2019 LHP son's stats.  He threw 56, 56.1, 58.1, and 67.2 in HS for varsity.  Summer stats were 58, 66.2, 102.2, and 33.  So a total of 114 for freshman year, 123 for sophomore, 161.1 for junior year, and 100.2 for senior year.  Never has had any arm problems.  I didn't keep up with fall which was limited greatly.  He averaged 11.2 pitches per inning over career so 1276.8, 1377.6, 1804.32. 1122,24 per year.  I will agree that every pitcher is different.  My other main pitcher son's freshman year could only go one day a week and arm was worn out after about 85 pitches.  Each kid's make-up is different according to how they throw, how hard they throw, mechanics, physical shape, and how much throwing they do to prepare.  My middle son probably had about same numbers or more but totally different throwing style and he played before HS pitch counts.  I do not recommend most kids ever throwing what my son threw.

College has been a totally different situation because he is a reliever/closer.  Throws anywhere from 1 pitch to 4 innings.  Lot more breaking stuff because in SEC he has to since he doesn't have the flame throwing pitch.  I'm not sure he will play summer ball because of how many innings he will throw in college which will not get near his innings in HS per year.