Skip to main content

Reply to "Total annual pitch count question"

My thoughts EXACTLY on the pitch smart guidelines. I have no idea if that is accurate or not. If it is, that is ENTIRELY too many pitches for even a professional arm. My son had 25 starts in 2019 at Low A level and 132 total innings. I have no idea of the total pitch count, but let’s say 15/inning on average. That’s less than 2,000 for a professional pitcher. No way in heck I would want my teenage son throwing 3,000 pitches in any year. I would say that 12-1300 number is about right. Most frontline college starters are gonna be in that same 100ish innings over a season. So they are most likely gonna throw 1000-1200 pitches in a season. And at that workload, most aren’t gonna play summer ball. Some are gonna go to the Cape for a short season to get in front of scouts, but are gonna be very limited in the pitches thrown per outing. I wish I knew more of this stuff when my kid was younger. If I’m the dad of a prospect, I’m gonna put the limits on him as long as I have the control (thru HS). They only have so many bullets in the gun. Why waste it at 14-16. They aren’t getting a scholarship at that age. If they do, there are WAY too many variables that can change that over the next 2 years, as has been hashed out in this site before. So I can see throwing a few more innings than normal the summer between jr and sr season in high school because of the “summer ball pressure”. Other than that, my limit would be 100 innings at 100 pitches or less per outing. So that keeps you at or below 1000 pitches per season. Those numbers come from the mouth of James Andrews.