Skip to main content

Reply to "Total annual pitch count question"

XFactor, that was a “figure of speech”. I agree with a lot you said. My point is pretty simple. If MLB pitchers, with the absolute best training, diet, etc rarely throw 3000 pitches per season, why would ANY teenager ever think about that. I don’t care how much you prepare, how well you eat, how much sleep you get, that is WAY TOO many pitches. Most people on this site have HS or younger age kids. The OP was asking about a HS or college pitcher. So I will stick by what I said. 1200-1300 pitches per season is the target I would have with my teenage son. Period. Taking all you said into account would not change that at all. But that is one dad’s opinion. To each his own. I would rather err on the side of caution until my son becomes an adult and makes those decision for himself.  BTW, all the examples you used are “normal” motions. The knee joint was designed to move in the manner it needs to run. Same with swimming. You may have a slight argument with football. But the elbow was ABSOLUTELY not meant to throw a baseball at 90+ mph. James Andrews said the elbow can accommodate approximately 85 mph. That was studies done using cadavers so not 100% accurate as well. He told me and my son that any pitcher that throws over 85 is a pitch away from the elbow exploding. I just don’t believe the same stress is out in a QB. I’m sure it has happened, but I’ve never heard of a QB having TJ.

Last edited by younggun