Skip to main content

Reply to "Tough Decision"

First let me thank everyone for your input.  While I may not agree with everyone, I absolutely respect you opinion.  To clarify, I wasn’t asking for agreement on our situation.  Believe it or not, bias exists in the real world.  I also don’t expect anything to be given to my son.  I expect him to earn it.  The only way that happens is to be given the opportunity to compete. That opportunity does not exist in his current situation.  That’s fine.  Life isn’t fair.  There is more than one way to skin a cat.  As far a putting in work goes, also not an issue.  While many kids his age are spending hours on end paying video games or chasing girls, that’s not his priority.  He’s putting in 10-15 hours a week into his passion with high level instruction and trainers.  Only mentioned his size, because he’s not blessed with the early growth that so many kids his age have been.  The path of least resistance is the big, strong kid.  He will be fine in time and is growing like a weed now and putting on much needed weight.  

For those of you that stuck it out and it ended well, I honestly couldn’t be happier for you.  It’s fantastic!  However, just like any profession, there are great ones and those that just got by.  The surgeon that graduated last in his class is still a surgeon, but that doesn’t mean I’m real excited about going under the knife with that guy.  I’m also not real excited about entrusting my sons playing future to a guy who’s senior catcher transferred out along with two others that would have been sure fire team captains, starters and 3-5 hitters.  

I get where many went with the question I asked.  “This is the typical helicopter parent where little Timmy is the next Derek Jeter, and is boo hooing because Timmy didn’t get his way.”  Not the case.  Just curious if any did it another way and how it worked out.  

Lastly, the conversation I had with the coach was to ask that he be allowed to “potentially” be late to games that he wasn’t going to play in so he could complete his physical therapy after missing several appointments and still having to pay for them out of pocket.  I also asked if he’s going to spend all of his practices behind the plate, but play other positions on occasion to please let me know so I can make sure he gets some work in to help his team.  

We didn’t pick his school for the baseball program, we picked it for the academics.  Many of you are absolutely correct, my son will likely not get an opportunity to catch for his current HS team and if he really wants  compete for the position, he’ll likely have to transfer.  Really just that simple.  I do find it interesting how many of you took the path of some science teacher that may or may not have played independent ball somewhere play baseball god with our kids without question.

Please forgive me if I come off as defensive, not my intent.  Just addressing some of the assumptions.  Love the group and the success stories.  Good to know others have gone through it and found a way.  Thanks again for the input.  It is appreciated and helpful.