Skip to main content

Reply to "Tough Decision"

@Nick0977 posted:

He does play travel ball and has since he was 10.  He’s played on “National Champion” teams and has more plastic trophies than I care to remember.  He’s played all over the state and will continue to do so with his “Elite” travel program this summer.  Guest playing this weekend and will have his first PG of the season next weekend.  The assumption is that he’s not good enough and that couldn’t be farther from the truth.  The question was never about playing time.  The question was about anyone that was in a similar situation with high school and the path they took.  

I should also state that I didn’t and wouldn’t speak to other parents about the situation.  I bring it up here, because it’s relevant and anonymous.  The only conversation I had with the coach during the season outside of basic pleasantries, was the one I mentioned.  I know the rules about talking to coaches.  I would like nothing better than to have zero interaction with them.  

In fall ball before the start their freshman year, both catchers split time behind the plate for their team.  Both catchers also received custom, monogrammed gear from fundraising for the season.  Both catchers also spent 100% of fielding time behind the plate in practice.  If your intention is to platoon your backup catcher, it might be a good idea to have them take a few ground balls in practice.  Just a thought.  

I’m lost at the confusion.  

Some parents here can't see the situation from your point of view because they had (or claim to have had) kids who either just fought through everything, or dominated from the start because they were so naturally gifted. They assume anyone who didn't must themselves be at fault and is imagining any bias.

On the other hand, parents can see bias where there is none. When your description started out that your kid both was coming off injury and went 0 for 9 when he did play, it's hard to think that bias/favoritism is why he catch. Could it be part of it? Sure. But we only can go by the evidence presented.