Skip to main content

Reply to "Tough Decision"

@RJM posted:

The coach’s priority is to win ball games.

What a horrible coach. I can’t imagine any player wanting to play for this misguided coach!

I can see a huge flaw in your thinking. You believe it’s the coach’s responsibility to develop your son. A typical high school baseball season has two to two and a half hour practices three times a week.

Maybe you’re not aware of this. The best players develop away from the game. They practice more away from the team than with the team. They arrive prepared to win a position.

What catching drills are there your son and you can’t develop on your own? Don’t know the catching position? Get. A video, learn from it and work with your son. In eighth grade my son would want to practice with me after middle school games. Because he played a fall sport and travel fall ball we practiced baseball after his fall sport practices.

Does your son have the passion or the preference to play? I only see preference. Everyone prefers to play. Then they make excuses when they don’t. There may be some bias in the coach. But I see excuses more than anything else.

The other catcher may be better. But there is nothing stopping your son from getting the coach in the thinking mode of, “I have to play this kid somewhere.” Nothing, except his passion for the game.

My son got temporarily screwed in another high school sport. It was definitely bias and politics. Rather than make excuses he decided he wasn’t going to allow it to happen. He worked through the issue. He told me to get over it. If I discussed the situation with anyone he would get pissed at me.

When my son graduated from high school and college I looked back and thought how perfect was the experience. It netted out that way. What I’m reminded of by complaining posters/parents on this site is the adversity he fought through to make it seem perfect.

You don’t lose when you get knocked down. You lose when you choose not to get up.

This is an ironic post.

My son was lucky to become friends with a person who has raised as far as one can go in scouting at the MLB level. I've heard him time and time again say the kids here are at a huge disadvantage because at almost every level there is almost no player development. He gave examples of Russian women's tennis, DR baseball, and one other sport where emphasis on development pays off. How here it's win and development takes a back seat.

Ironic the opinion of this poster, who thinks they have it all figured out, lines up with what a director of scouting thinks is wrong with baseball in north america.

If you are serious about baseball you'd be well advised not to look here for advice. Because it's full of people who think they know, but don't know. Well maybe somewhat at the LL, HS, and maybe some college level. But my son has afforded me an insight into the highest level, and this person, along with most here, have no clue.

And, as one can easily see in the quoted post. This site is almost now only how much more "woke" and "enlightened" I am and how well we/my son handled adversity.