Skip to main content

Reply to "Tough Decision"

@Nick0977 posted:

@DanJ  I hear everything you’re saying.  I know what my son needs to do to be successful.  So does he.  I think I was pretty upfront about the challenges before I even dug into the possible bias.  The more I read these posts I’ve realized that I couldn’t care less about bias, where my kid plays or how much he plays.  The question was legitimate, but for all the wrong reasons.  I’m realizing more than ever that my real problem is that I believe that the coach is of low character and I don’t want my son to play for him in any capacity.  I just wrote a dissertation on why I feel that way and deleted it.  It’s not important, really none of your business and I’m damn sure not going to bother defending myself, but it has nothing to do with playing time or even baseball.  I apologize to all of you if I was rude, but this was actually incredibly helpful in a totally unintended way.  Weird, but thank you.  

Unfortunately there are more than a few HS coaches that I wouldn’t want my son to play for either. Freshman HS baseball is almost always a disappointment. Many families set HS baseball as a milestone target and spent huge amounts of money and time getting prepared for it. Only to find out when they get there that nothing lives up to their expectations. And then they freak out. Playing HS baseball can be a great experience if expectations meet with reality, however IMO it’s rare when that happens. Usually parents expectations are not realistic and it takes time for them to realize that. After that you have to decide if the reality is tolerable for you or whether you need to find a better situation.