Skip to main content

Reply to "Tough Decision"

Yes, while my comments may sound comprehensive/superlative, I do recognize they're not 100% all encompassing.  But I would argue they're EFFECTIVELY 100% as far as setting up parental (and player) expectations.  I know of a few kids who largely pinned their recruiting approach around their HS coach.  In the 11th hour, reality finally hit and they scrambled to leverage the smarter pieces available.

And yes, I have no doubt that 10 years ago, college coaches were making much more contact with HS coaches.  But the differences between now and even 10 years ago to the recruiting model are massive.

As far as character calls go, I am sure they happen, but it's been my experience that they're largely not happening these days with HS coaches.  My son has close personal relationships with lots of D1, D2, D3 and JUCO commits and the character calls to HS coaches simply aren't happening.  It's a good sample size, but I suppose it's at least possible that the sample is an aberration.  I am hearing about character INSPECTIONS, but not character calls to HS coaches.  Where college coaches are pulling their character data through first hand observation or proxies.  They're watching players in the dugouts, in between games, heading out into the field, etc.  Last summer when my son was playing travel ball, some of his teammates were approached by prospective coaches after games asking about my son.  So there's no doubt college coaches care about character and are pulling that data.