Skip to main content

Reply to "Tourney tips and garage equip"

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

3. Taking the rest from another board who had this discussion last year about pre-high school baseball and what parents bring, probably WAY too much but pick out what you think is needed:

Your first aid kit should include:
1. Activatable ice pack, the type that you break it and it's instantly cold. You would be amazed how many parks don't have ice, and it will be at that park your kid will be hit by the ball and need ice.
2. Advil/ibuprofen, because it really does help with the swelling
3. Ace Bandage, to tie the ice pack onto a particular location
4. Waterproof Sunblock
5. Benadryl AND Afterbite
6. Medical tape, useful for hurt fingers to be splinted together, to make a makeshift pad for the catchers hand/thumb when dealing with a powerful pitcher, and also useful to wrap around a bat and write your kids name on it...imagine 60 kids show up for a wooden bat tournament with nearly identical cheap $25 Louisville sluggers.
7. Band-aids (the flexible kind), neosporin and iodine or alcohol wipes. You would think some hydrogen peroxide, but no, peroxide looses strength when exposed to heat and time so it's not good for hot weather.

8. Bug spray

When my son was younger, my wife got tired of never having the first aid supplies younger players seem to need.  I picked up a plastic toolbox at Home Depot and she filled it with everything you could need short of a scalpel and sutures.  Now that he is in high school, I just show up :-)  I do keep a folding chair in the car incase I don't feel like sitting in the bleachers.