Skip to main content

Reply to "Tourney tips and garage equip"

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:
Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:
Originally Posted by cabbagedad:
For really hot days, get a small ice chest and a couple dozen cheap white rags from dollar store.  Roll them up, wet them down and throw some ice on top.  Put the ice chest in the dugout and let all the players use these to put on their heads and around their necks between innings.  They love it and it makes a world of difference.

No, no, no.....do not do this EVER!!!! Your team will be ridiculed as the "towel boys" for the rest of their baseball lives.   If you must use towels DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES allow a mom of one of the players into the dugout to put the towels on the boys....if that happens, you'll be the "mama's boys" for the rest of your baseball lives....  

Never sure exactly how to interpret the smiley face and you may have been totally joking but I certainly didn't suggest a mom in the dugout putting towels on the boys.  They can do it themselves. 

If there was any seriousness in your post, we'll agree to disagree on not using this tool.  Over the years, with teams ranging in age from 12's to 18's, I've taken many groups to Central Cal Valley summer tourneys where temps around 105-110 are not uncommon.  The cold rags have been a difference maker in teams playing with energy and life or being totally zapped (or miserable, or worse).  Never had them called anything resembling "towel boys" but did observe several opponents wishing they were equally equipped. 

On the other hand, I do believe we had the same daughter.

I was semi-joking....especially about the towels themselves.  If it helps and keeps the kids feeling better, I'm all for it.    I also understand that things in Ohio and California are completely different with regard to temps in the summer.  We don't play in 100+ temps here.  My comment was completely based on the fact that I've only personally seen the towels twice in my son's 10+ years of baseball....and both times there was a mom who went into the dugout and helped put the towels on the boys necks....one of the teams was 13U and the other 14U.  It made for some fun conversations around the park the remainder of the weekend!!! 

Last edited by Buckeye 2015