Skip to main content

Reply to "Towel Drills?"

quote:
Originally posted by CoachO:
ygpbb321,(John*, glad you guessed right. The question was directed to you.

In more recent years I have been made aware that for every foot moved closer to the plate the perceived velocity increases by 3 mph.

I had wondered if your instruction included that information. I'm not trying to disect anyone so don't think that might be what is happeneing here. I am always looking for ways to improve my own abilities. I find your input of great value. Thanks for responding.

To tell you the truth, the more I learn about baseball instruction and teaching others, the more I think baseball is waaaaaaaaaaaayyy too over disected/analyzed.

There is no way to prove perceived velocity per foot, nor do I think it matters that much that pitchers should try to increase perceived velocity. The basics of pitching are disrupting timing and balance. I believe to become a good pitcher you need to focus on finding a set of mechanics that is comfortable to you, you are able to repeat, have success with, and keeps you free from injury. From there it is all about HARD WORK and developing pitches that fit into these mechanics that can disrupt batter's timing and balance.(IMO)

With that being said, everyone is different and will require different things to get them through the inning, game, season, career. For me, the towel drill helped (in my mind) to get better extention out front. To others it may be helping with perceived velocity (in their head). Whatever it may be to make them believe that they are improving because of it. My job as an instructor is describing what worked for me and translating into what may work for them. Most of the time, they will decide what fixes their problems themselves without me having to make something up, which I think a lot of parents and coaches do (unfortunately). Because they have made the decision themselves, they will have conviction in what they do as a pitcher.

To answer your question directly. No, I do not include information about perceived velocity per foot. I explain to the kids how to do the towel drill, how it has helped me, and other ways it may help them. Not that I don't believe in perceived velocity, I just don't believe in working on creating perceived velocity. I guess you can say it is very low on my priority list as you can see from this post http://hsbaseballweb.com/eve/f...91034941/m/640105962 I put it as a 7 out of 8 and that would be natural perceived velocity. I wouldn't consider working on gaining PV.

But now if a player asks me about PV I will be a little more ready to answer (and put him on the towel drill) Thanks Coach O.