Skip to main content

Reply to "TrackMan at PG events"

EdgarFan,

The plan is to make some of the data available to everyone, more than likely via the profiles. Some of the information will be available to only scouts and college coaches. We haven't decided how to handle it yet.

It will be permanent at the PG complex at Lakepoint.  Trackman has developed a portable model that we have tested with great results.  Our goal is to use Trackman at every event we do.  We really want the information on every player we see.  Not sure of we can accomplish that next season or not, but that is the goal.  For sure we will have Trackman at the major events.

I'm glad you like this, I truly think this is ground breaking stuff for amateur scouting. The more data we compile, the more meaningful that data becomes.  And not just in scouting, but even for development and training.  Young players will know what the numbers are that they need to work towards.  The players history will have a lot more information to use for projection purposes.  

I have friends that are old and old school scouts.  They have problems dealing with a cell phone.  Their experience and knowledge is great.  They are still great scouts that see things most people would miss.  That part of scouting will never be replaced.  That will always remain the most important ingredient in scouting IMO.  It is the ART of scouting and evaluating talent.  

However, I have always wanted as much meaningful information as possible.  In fact, I didn't even really care how meaningful it was, it was all worth something.  So now days we have the new way of scouting.  It does not and never will eliminate the old way, but the technology and metrics simply provide much more information that makes scouting much more thorough. Never exact, but closer to getting it right. This part is called the SCIENCE of scouting.  When you put the ART and the Science together it becomes a great combination.

When I talked to the founder and the head tech guy for Trackman, I was in over my head.  These guys are genius like and I am a dumb shit.  However, after a short time we were exactly on the same page. At least when it comes to baseball. These were the modern day scientific tech guys with MIT type degrees talking to an old school scout/coach about baseball and both sides understanding each other perfectly.