Skip to main content

Reply to "TrackMan at PG events"

Originally Posted by jp24:

I'm curious why you think it could hurt your 2016?

I was curious about the same thing.

I'm guessing, but I suspect Everyday Dad might think those measurements may reveal his son to have average or less measurements and fall behind some kids whose measurements are higher / professional caliber.  Here's the thing, though: right now, we can't tell much other than whether in that particular snapshot in time, a player compares favorably to major league averages.  It is going to take time and accumulation of data as players progress to pro levels before we can tell much about expected/projected development.  Until then, that is still going to be more or less the purview of those old school scouts PGStaff was talking about, and the ART of scouting, and rightly so.  Recruiters and scouts are always going to trust their eyes first; eventually I hope the data TrackMan provides will supplement and confirm what those scouts see, and help them to narrow and improve their focus in scouting.

The other thing is, as a parent, even if the end result is that TrackMan data "hurts" our sons in the sense that it reveals them to be more "average" than we might've hoped, I still think that's a good thing.  How many parents do you think you've seen come to HSBBWeb seeking advice on how best to determine "where their son fits" in the grand scheme of baseball?  This can only help to clarify that question, IMO.  And just because a player starts out as "average" (or worse) doesn't mean that's where you have to end up. Not everybody follows an "average" progression of development, and as PGStaff said, having this data can help a player focus his training to improve in areas where he may be deficient, and the ability to be re-measured in future events and track improvement can be a huge motivator.  No matter how you slice it, I can't see any negative to the use of this information.

Last edited by EdgarFan