Skip to main content

Reply to "Tragic - Nevada freshman pitcher dies"

My deepest sympathies to the family and friends of this young pitcher, and of Patrick, mentioned by LadyNmom. I have been crying every time I return to this thread.

Just a few weeks ago, a young man associated with my son's baseball team may have been prevented from becoming another of these tragic stories, because someone noticed warning signs and got him in touch with a professional who could help.

Out of respect, I was reluctant to post anything but words of sympathy in this tragic thread, but since we are all concerned with helping, what are the warning signs?

There are lists on many credible resources on the Web.

Warning Signs of Suicide from SAVE.org

Warning Signs from American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

From the above site's FAQ page, this question and answer:

• Q: Apart from talking to a suicidal person and encouraging him/her to go for counseling, what else can we do to prevent this?

• A: Going with someone to the counselor often helps. If the person won't listen to you, you may need to talk to someone who might influence him or her. Saving a life is more important than violating a confidence.

Personally I would also add, teens can call one of the suicide prevention hotline 1-800 numbers to ask for advice or a referral to help a friend.

The easiest to remember is 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) from Hopeline.com

Or, 1-800-273-TALK (8255), which is also found on printable brochures and wallet cards on the
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, which include warning signs, what to do, etc.

Some DANGER SIGNS OF SUICIDE which were listed on more than one of the above sites:

• Talk about suicide
  • Statements about hopelessness, helplessness or worthlessness
  • Preoccupation with death
  • Suddenly happier, calmer
  • Loss of interest in things one cares about
  • Unusual visiting or calling people one cares about
  • Making arrangements; setting one’s affairs in order
  • Giving things away
Last edited by MN-Mom