Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Observations and Questions"

#1 Assistant Coach posted:

The transfer process is pretty clear, to a point.  But I have some specific questions for which I'd like answers or info.  They are:

1.  The 3 players referenced above are all at JUCOs now.  One was RS'd last year at his P5, the other 2 seem to have used a year of their eligibility.  They have yet to play a game for their JUCO, and yet they're already committed to D1s for next year.  Were they seen in the summer?  Are college coaches also going to summer college games to scout guys?  Where else would a P5 coach see and recruit a kid who was RS'd on a P5 roster his freshman year?  

2. How does the transfer process work for a player who stays for fall ball as a sophomore but is cut after the fall season, as a sophomore?   Is he now looking to find a JUCO to play at this spring?  Like he has from November to January, now, to find a place?  Or, transfer to another D1, now before January, and then begin his mandatory "sit out" year this coming spring?  He'd have to pull the trigger in next couple months right?  How the heck does a kid who is cut in early November find a place to play by January?  That sounds like a tall order?

3.  Sounds to me, seeing (and reading) the writing on the wall is more beneficial if done as a freshman, as opposed to hanging on for another year trying to right the ship, burning another year of investment and time as a sophomore.  All three of the players referenced above seem to have made the transfer transition fairly seemlessly and I hope it works out for them this time.  It  seems to me that, the transfer process gets more difficult and less common the older you get (as a sophomore, junior, etc.).  That if you're gonna pull the transfer trigger, best to do it after freshman year.  Yes?

One of my sons and his best friend took remarkably similar paths and both included multiple transfers.  Both went to two Calif. JC's, a California D2 and then across the country to an NAIA.  Both were all-conference JC players as sophomores.  Both were, at least at some point, in starting roles at their D2 but still found it necessary to transfer after that junior year.  

So, first I will answer #3... As always, every situation is different.  But a transferring senior has far more hurdles to overcome than a player with more than just one year of eligibility.  Demand becomes far less for a host of reasons even if a proven college player.  You better be willing to look where you are sure to be an impact player.

#2 - For all I hear about the necessity of hitting deadlines with applications, I rarely hear about players that are transferring being held up because of deadlines.  Now, getting classes is another matter.  It is certainly easier to do that at smaller schools.

#1 - Where are they seen...  Well, quite often, the player goes back to his original recruiting board and reaches out to the schools that were interested prior.  Otherwise, networking is huge.  The ability to do visits, showcases, etc. is mostly out the window, so you are either a desirable drop down or you better have good credible advocates.  One resource that doesn't get talked about much here - current players.  I am familiar with several players who were either recruited initially or brought in via transfer at least in part via word of mouth from current established players to their coaching staff about an available player. 

One of the biggest issues with transferring is class credits.  It is seemingly becoming worse and worse in regards to how difficult schools make it to get classes transferred... even the most basic 1A classes that should be no-brainers.

I am looking forward to someone answering your airplane emergency seat question... was always afraid to actually pull that sucker out and look myself.

Last edited by cabbagedad