Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Observations and Questions"

keewart posted:

There were several players on son's college team that transferred (in/out).  All different situations, but I thought I would share since they are all so different:

One player "saw the writing on the wall" (or was told) after fall ball that he would get minimal time at MIF his freshman season.  He transferred out for his spring freshman semester to a Florida Juco and did well on the team.   So, he found a place to land very quickly that freshman fall for a spring roster spot.  Not sure where he has landed yet for his junior year of college 2 years later.

Another top HS pitcher signed his NLI at a power 5 conference school.   He saw the "writing on the wall" with limited playing time his freshman year and transfered to son's mid-major D1 college.  Sat out sophomore year at his new school per NCAA rules.  Pitched lights out his junior year and drafted 3rd round this past June. 

Another player tried to walk on to his dream D1 west coast school but did not make the team.  After attending  community college, transfered to son's school and made the team as a walk-on his sophomore year.  However, because of the early recruiting time-line, the roster was full (plus no one quit or hurt, etc.)  so he didn't make the team his junior year.  His playing days are done; however, after getting his masters in 2018, his future job may be with a MLB team.  Several interviews are already lined up for the winter meetings, I understand.

Another player went D1 (one year)  then Juco (one year) then son's school for 2 years.  Three  different schools is tough, and he had a few classes he still needed to graduate so he is currently in his 9th semester. 

Our state's POY several years ago finished his degree at his out of state school in 2 1/2 years with moderate playing time (84 ABs in 2 years).   Shows up in the spring to son's school for a masters program with 2 years of eligibility left and since he had already graduated, can play right away.  Voila!  There is a spot for him!  Plays wonderfully for his 3rd season (231 ABs, .368 avg with 11 HRs) and gets drafted that year with a college degree AND one year of graduate school in hand.  (He is brilliant).

So, like in these examples, you may can find a place to land after fall freshman year to play at a Juco.  Florida has quite a few, and there are a few closer by in NC (Pitt and Louisburg).  

I think some D1 schools will have committed players go to a Juco first for a year to get their "feet wet" with playing time.  It is a prearranged agreement ahead of time.  I know of  two instances where this probably happened.

JuCos are normally 2 year programs, so transferring in after sophomore year may be impossible.....what classes would the player take?  Plus, you have 5 years to get in 4 years of playing.....time is ticking.....and although you could get drafted out of the Juco, how many D1 coaches want a player with only one year of eligibility left?  

I don't think son's college was unique.....there are many comings and goings to rosters.

Obviously, all the player can do is take it one day at a time, and deal with things as they come.  As each of your examples illustrates.  I appreciate all the posts here.  Have learned a lot in one day.  Thanks for all the info.  In the back pocket it goes, hopefully never needing it!