Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Observations and Questions"

adbono posted:  

You don't blame the parents and the kids for believing everything they are told during the recruiting process? Seriously ?? You have to be kidding me!  Kids are told all kinds of things that are marginally true - or not true at all.  It is the parents (and the players) job to sort through all that and figure out who is shooting the most straight and who isn't. 

Your reference to being a 2 way player offers a good learning opportunity. Lots of coaches will say that they will give a kid a chance to be a 2 way guy.  Guess what?  Hardly any kids are good enough at both to be a 2 way guy - especially at a 4 year program.  The coach knows that. But he isn't going to say that during the recruiting process if he really wants a kid.  He wants to get him on his campus and then guess what? - either the kid figures out on his own that  he needs to focus on the strongest aspect of his game (either pitching or playing a position - whichever it is) OR he is told he has to do that. As a parent YOU should know that.  All you have to do is study the roster at any school to figure that out.  Just because a travel ball coach has been blowing smoke up your butt for the past 6 years about how good little Johnny is doesn't make it true. Could be that he was doing that so you would keep paying his fees.  YOU (the parent) should be able to figure that out too.  I have a real problem with you trying to take the parents off the hook.  I'm not saying its easy to sort through all the BS.  But I am saying its the parents & the players job to try.

Two other points: yes, I realize how rare a two-way player is. That's why I said "Could he really?" Second, there is no travel ball coach who has been blowing smoke up my butt -- sure, this is an internet message board and gratuitous insults were practically invented for internet message boards, but in this case, and in this thread, we're talking about college coaches doing the smoke blowing.