Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Portal 2023"

@TPM posted:

Curious to see the #s coming from those programs that over recruited.

I took the time this weekend to look through all of the rosters of the few D1 schools that have been communicating with my 2024.   It is shocking to look at Perfect Game Commitment list from 2019 and 2020 and see how few of the players on those list that still have their name on those schools rosters.   I have found Collegebaseballinsights.com to be a good tool, but it's a little more real when you look at names and pictures instead of just looking at numbers.   

I was having a conversation with my son this morning and we were discussing the importance of being comfortable with a school and not just a baseball program.  Just looking at the statistics, the chances of a player signing and continuing with a D1 school for four years in their baseball program is rather slim.    My wife chimed in with the typical parent response, "but our son is a really good pitcher and these school that are talking to him really want him in their program."   I had to remind her that, the parents of all of those kids that are not long on that teams roster probably said the same thing when their child was being recruited.

There are a lot of names in that D1baseball.com transfer portal.  You never know the situation that led to those names being there.  It seems that some of the names are players that have another year of eligibility and want to do a graduate transfer at another school in order to play another year or in many cases, to play for a school that has a graduate program that they want to attend.   I'm sure that there are some that put their name in the Transfer portal to move up to a more competitive program, but I would imagine that the majority of names in the TP are there because things didn't go as they had hoped and anticipated with the school that they signed with.   

Last edited by Ster