Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Portal 2023"

@Ster posted:

I took the time this weekend to look through all of the rosters of the few D1 schools that have been communicating with my 2024.   It is shocking to look at Perfect Game Commitment list from 2019 and 2020 and see how few of the players on those list that still have their name on those schools rosters.   I have found Collegebaseballinsights.com to be a good tool, but it's a little more real when you look at names and pictures instead of just looking at numbers.   

I was having a conversation with my son this morning and we were discussing the importance of being comfortable with a school and not just a baseball program.  Just looking at the statistics, the chances of a player signing and continuing with a D1 school for four years in their baseball program is rather slim.    My wife chimed in with the typical parent response, "but our son is a really good pitcher and these school that are talking to him really want him in their program."   I had to remind her that, the parents of all of those kids that are not long on that teams roster probably said the same thing when their child was being recruited.

I've done similar reviews for my 2024.  I told my wife that roughly half of the HS class of 2024 PG Commitments will not be on that spring college baseball season roster their freshman year (spring '25), and another half of that will not be on the roster for the spring the next year (spring '26).  ... my rough estimate, only 1/3rd of those HS class of 2024 PG verbal commits will be on "that college" roster three years from now.  I've told my son before he made his verbal commitment ... "don't expect me to pay 100% of the tuition for you to stay, if you get cut from the baseball program after your first year".  These boys get to grow up a lot faster than I did.