Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Portal 2023"

@Ster posted:

I think that you are being wise, and I believe that this topic is something that in my conversations with other parents in travel baseball circles are seldom consider.   I guess we as parents of athletic children are just wired to believe that our sons have excelled in every endeavor of baseball, and that the notion that they might be cut from a roster or have their athletic scholarship reduced due to performance isn't something that crosses the mind during the recruitment process.   

For an example, there is a HA D1 school that offers 80% athletic scholarship to a recruit.  The schools total cost of attendance is in excess of $70k a year.   If after the first season the coaching staff decides to reduce that athletic award to 25% then that totally changes a families affordability level.

One of the option for my son is a HA school around that price tag.  This was one of our biggest consideration (the ability to afford it w/o athletic scholarship). I'm sure we can find a way to pay for it. But I don't think paying $70k/yr for school is worth it considering there are $30k/yr options.  These options may not be HA and "prestigious" but it's more than enough to have a good career. And my son is not the HA type. If he is, then it may be worth the cost (still not convinced of this either - still not sure what you get out of a prestigious liberal arts degree vs. a more practical degree from a normal state university).