Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer portal baseball"

I will just remind you and him that all P5's right now are loaded.  There are 23 guys at my son's school trying to find innings.  The starters this weekend all three went 5/6 innings and then the relievers went to the 9th.  Same guy closed Friday and Saturday.  They used 5 guys Friday and Saturday to win.  Sunday they went 12 innings but only used 3 more guys to go that far with a guy who pitched Friday coming back.  They have 6 games in 6 days this week and a lot of guys should see mound time but it will still be hard to see much mound time.  It would be easy to say that son will not find time but you can only hope that when he does he does what he is supposed to do and firms up a spot.  I think most P5's and D1's are loaded with talent this year along with everyone else so he needs to understand that all rosters are going to be full.  If he wants to play immediately he will need to drop down and maybe to a different level than D1 or at least small D1.  He needs to be honest with himself and the coaches as to expectations because he does not want to go to another school that is similar and not be happy.  We have a friend that was at P5 and got redshirted pre-covid last year and went to smaller D1 and now is going into the portal again because he is not getting playing time.  It is tough to go from stud in HS to sitting but you have to decide end game.