Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer portal baseball"

@Consultant posted:

Not when the MLB has 20 rounds to scout a players character each answer invites additional in-depth questions.

I don't believe that to be true, also transferring is not indicative of character issues. In fact, transferring seems almost more common than not these days. The numbers that get tossed around here would imply that 50% or more of baseball players are not finishing the 4-6 year process at the school they committed to in HS. Being forced out is a theme in 2022.

Transferring to get more playing time is not controversial, it is actually encouraged. Moving onto a higher caliber program where the player in question will be surrounded by more talented players and established coaches should be looked at in a positive manner - they're seeking out the best to become a better player.

What is an MLB scout going to call a 20 year old who says I transferred for a bigger scholarship/ NIL money because it is less of a financial burden on my family? Selfish?

More importantly - it's all within the confines of the rules. NCAA allows this. Whether it should or shouldn't be is a different story but why would players not take advantage of it?

I've never been in a pro interview and maybe I'm wrong on this but at the very least I have a very hard time believing that a group of grown men are going to get together and determine that a 21 year old has makeup issues because he took advantage of the rules put into place by the sanctioning body of college athletics by transferring. "Yes he's 6'6 240 with a 70 fastball, a 70 slider and a 60 curve but he transferred from Kennesaw St to UNC - cross him off the list."

I don't buy it for a second and I don't believe players doing what is best for themselves/family should be looked down upon.