Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer portal baseball"

As in many issues discussed on this board there are big regional differences.
  I will limit my comments to what I have seen in Texas. Btw, @baseballhs is also in Texas and I agree with all of her comments.
  I have more personal experience with PBR than PG, as I saw thru PG after attending one individual event. In the DFW area PBR did/does a good job of attending HS and travel ball games. They also put on individual showcase events. They publish rankings based on what they see at their events AND what they see in game action. If a player consistently performs well in games they attend they will rank that player whether the player has attended one of their showcases or not. That was the case with my son. He never attended a PBR event but they ranked him #11 3B in Texas based on how he performed in the games they attended. Did the ranking help him get recruited? No. It didn’t. Not one bit. Now I will say that players that repeatedly attend PBR events may get a ranking but they can’t buy a higher ranking by continuing to attend events. The most they can hope for is a video or a shout out if they happen to do something in a game.
  HS kids that are legit prospects and have advisors (and way more have them than need them) don’t need advisors attempting to manipulate rankings in order for them to be noticed. Players that are not legit prospects and have advisors are viewed as a red flag to college coaches.
  So the concept of kids benefitting from advisors impacting rankings, or money buying rankings, does not hold water with PBR in Texas.
  adbono out!