Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Portal"

@Jam24 posted:

This just happened to my kid. I posted about it in another thread. I would link to that but not sure how. Anyway, he was asked to "release" himself from his NLI along with 6 other freshman. It's easy to say that the kid doesn't have to do it, but what's the other option? Keep the money and show up on a team that already told you they want to give your money to someone else and don't really value you? That would be fun for an 18 year old in a brand new place with no support system developed yet. So - he and all the others released themselves - fortunately we can afford to still send him to that school but others can't. It's a total bullshit situation and the NCAA turns a blind eye.

Your son and the other players did not have to release themselves. That was their money and they did not have to remain on the team but still could use it towards their first year to attend.  Those students remain as counters towards the number of scholarships.   They don't tell you that part.  

It's really a shame and I am sorry. This situation has given a lot of coaches a big headache, but that doesn't give them a reason to not do the right thing.  

Last edited by TPM