Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Portal"

@Jam24 posted:

I'm not sure who you are telling to put their big boy pants on and who you have no sympathy for, but if it's my son then you should be ashamed of yourself. The only person who needs to grow up and deserves no sympathy is a coach who

- had my son sign a contract that restricted him from looking at other schools or pursuing other options,

- allowed him to register for courses, meet with his athletic and academic advisors,

- had the school send us a bill with the amount of the scholarship accounted for,

- and then 5 weeks before the start of school had the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator call him to say they needed to give his money to someone else who hadn't gone in the draft.

Who does that? A person with no integrity and zero ethics. It should be illegal - breach of contract or restraint of trade. They kept him until absolutely the last minute and then pulled the rug out from under him. 

I never said anything about being "bullied." I said the power dynamic for an 18yo moving to a new place with no support system and no advocates would make it extremely difficult to keep the money and show up for practice with a set of people who just told you they don't really want you. If you or your son would be able to manage that, then that would be the choice you would make I guess.

My son is going to the school, trying to earn a spot by working his ass off, and then transferring. 

Next time, maybe try not to belittle people who are in a shitty situation not at all of their own making.

It was a generalization and I mean what I say. The "bullying" and "big boy" pants was in response to a reply from @Rick at Informed Athlete.

But if you are telling me your son did this then I still mean it. Why did he give up the money? Walk-on? Your son didn't NEED to walk-on, he already had a spot. Now if he "walks-on", the other players will say, hey kid, thanks for the $$$.

You should have called the coach's bluff. As I stated in an earlier post, the coach just asked your son to give it up; he most definitely didn't force him to do it.

So yes, I feel bad for your son and I agree it's not cool for a coach do ask that of a kid. But try to remember, it's the coach's job to win so he can keep his job. This happens all the time in the workplace. Company "A" asks you take a "promotion" and to move to location "B" so you uproot your family and do it! Then the company sells off your division and the new owners have no need for you or your position. Now you are out of a job. Unethical? Illegal? Uncool? I don't think so, it's the real world.