Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Portal"

@Jam24 posted:

For those of you who think  my kid should go to a different school @PABaseball, @ABSORBER@CollegebaseballInsights can you please send me a list of all the D1 baseball schools still accepting freshmen for the fall where the coach would definitively say he would be given an opportunity as a walk on (so doesn't have an overflowing roster). Also - no Jucos. Thanks.  He'd also take high academic D3s still admitting for the fall. We have four more weeks to figure it out.

I've got a list going for January transfers so fall only please.

I never recommended transferring, I suggested your son show up in the fall on athletic scholarship. If that head coach was a good judge of talent then your son has a good chance to make the team. Or at least a better chance than he would if he gave up his scholarship! His chances now are around 0%. That should be obvious.

This is the reason NLI's exist. Because your son DID forgo other potential offers, he DID only apply to the one school that offered, and he (and you) decided you could afford to attend said school. And it's June (was). That's the reason the removal of the 25% minimum was temporarily suspended--because NLIs had already been signed and are binding. The suspension was necessary BECAUSE of this. But that was for the rest of the team, not your son. The coach had to cut someone's scholarship so he asked if any of his incoming freshman would be willing to walk away. It makes things easier for him so he doesn't have to tell existing players that their scholarships will be reduced. NCAA requires this by July 1st. You did him a huge favor. But you did it voluntarily. Remember, this guy's family depends on his job so he's going to do whatever is necessary to keep it. An NLI-signer's family's economic status will NOT be adversely affected should the player walk away from their NLI.

So what would YOU do if you were the coach?

Again, I feel bad for your son but I also feel bad for everyone affected by C-19. Your son had a shot to stay and make the team--on scholarship! If he did not, transfering remained an option. Like I tell my kids, never leave a job without having a new one lined up; I would give the same advice in this situation.