Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Reasons"

@Momball11 posted:

That's certainly rough. Do you think there's a way to prevent this from happening or reduce one's odds of this happening? Maybe directly ask the recruiting coordinator if this is something they do? Choose a program and/or appropriate skill level where you hopefully won't be one on the chopping block?

Lots to cover here on the thread. I have lurked and commented on many threads over the last couple of years and do not have experience here (fingers crossed). My son is currently a freshman at a "mid major" D1.

I was pretty involved in my son's process. I would describe my role as "chief of staff" but at times was also psychologist, equipment manager, and intern (throwing BP at all hours of day and night, hitting grounders, facilitating "daily's" and more).

One of many things that I was involved in was research into all programs that my kid was contacted by and chose to contact. I researched old rosters and the latest roster. I tried to find past fall rosters if possible. I looked at commitments past and present on both PG & PBR. I researched to see what kids stayed and what kids were no longer on rosters. I looked to see where the current roster came from: HS, JUCO, D2, Grad students, etc. I also researched articles on coaches via google, searched for podcast interviews, contacted people here and other places that might know programs/coaches/more, and tried to make sure my kid was not being set up for failure.

Son was injured most of JR year and was offered by current school late April senior year (lots of warnings about that here on the board) and after a lot of research prior to offer about all things mentioned above and then a bunch more research and calls post offer son accepted. 

I could ramble on about things I learned about other programs (from D3's that had 85 kids at the fall "baseball meeting" to teams that had 58 kids in uniform for fall ball PRE-pandemic) but here is what we were told and how things have gone so far. RC told son he was offering him his "last spot" on team assuming neither of the 2 possible draft kids were drafted. Son told me during individual practices (vs team practice) early in fall that there were 35 kids on roster and 1 walk-on RHP. Travel roster in spring is 27 and that is my kids goal (along with obviously getting AB's, starting, etc).

Research anywhere and everywhere along with utilizing services like College Baseball Insights.  Subscribe to D1baseball and read about programs...anything you can find from fall ball articles to spring previews and prospect things. Utilize contacts here at HSBBweb along with travel team personnel, ex players from the team and even opposing teams. Look at history/bios of coaching staff to try to find connections to kids/organizations you might have contacts within.

Lastly I will leave you with this anecdote from this past weekend. I was watching a new D1 in town scrimmage the closest/best JUCO to town. In addition to 2 benches with 40+ kids I connected with a dad of a P5 freshman. We talked about our kids fall so far and had pleasant conversation. I knew that there were plenty of freshman commits to his school. When he told me it had been more tryout then development I said that had not been the case for my kid...some balance at least from my POV. Next he told me they had 20 freshman commits plus transfers and JUCO kids...I was very thankful for my kids mid-major experience so far.