Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Reasons"

"I'm no expert, but based on what I read here on HSBBW and from what I see in the wild, it seems more and more the norm that players transfer. Those staying and playing all 4 years at the same school are a dying breed. It's too bad but it is what it is."

I totally agree with you @SpeedDemon!  Transfers definitely seem to be the norm, BUT my son is starting his junior year at a mid-major DI (same school) and in his time there, they have had a total of 3 transfer out of his program and that is with a coaching change!  The league that he plays in has very few transfers because it is a mid-major and not stacked with draft picks. They all support each other like brothers and the "egos" aren't so prominent because they all have the same goal and that's to prove that the "underdogs" can compete with the "big dogs.".  I've heard it said on here multiple times that the top P5 schools are turning into minor league organizations so they are all fighting for those draft spots and coaches are fighting for that trip to Omaha.

My question would be..Are you ok with him sitting on the bench with very little playing time for 4 years as long as he doesn't transfer or will he choose to transfer if he doesn't have immediate playing time?   If it is the latter, then make sure he is playing in a division that equates to his ability, make sure your expectations match your reality and know that it IS POSSIBLE to play at the same school for 4 years of eligibility at the same school and without redshirting.  My son and 3 of his roommates are proof.