Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Reasons"

I think my approach has changed with the NIL deals and transfer portal from when mine were going through the recruiting process.  I have talked about how diligent we went through with each school of researching them and knowing how many freshman were coming in and how many of son's position were they recruiting and so on.  But that has changed with the Transfer Portal.  I will give a personal example.  Our freshman class where son is at has not changed in numbers and types of players recruited but the transfer portal changed the game this summer.  We lost all 8 fielding starters off of last year's team.  Which all of them had been with the program from day one.  All were there as freshmen and played through the process.  Great opportunity for incoming freshmen and returning players.   But the transfer portal and grad transfers changed that.  We got a SS, 3rd base, and OF from there.  They will all three start I'm pretty sure.  We also brought in 3 juco players that will compete.  I'm not sure there will be a freshman starting except maybe 1.  The weird part was we kept almost all of our pitchers.  All four starters are back with all except 2 of the main relievers coming back.  We have guys waiting to play each position along with the freshmen but it will be a dogfight for a starting role next fall.  Our HC has said we have more draftees than ever before at any program he has coached at including ours, Arkansas, Missouri and others.  It will be interesting to see how it falls out.  We have talked a lot about LSU on here and the transfer portal greatly changed their landscape as I think they have 7-8 on campus this fall.  They are not the highest in the SEC.  There are 2 schools that got 10 transfer guys into their program.  That trend will greatly change how you look at recruiting.