Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Reasons"

I think it hit PItchingFan's team a little later than someone the others, but when your own players start getting poached, most coaches will end up in the portal.  I think what we have to understand, and help our kids understand, is that you can be really really good and still not get a chance.  If the game is on the line, coaches are typically going to go with experience.  Ours were told that point blank.  I also read an article on position guys in the minors that didn't make it to the majors (that were projected to), and it said 75% said that from day one their swing was tweaked or changed and they never got to get comfortable.  I can tell you from experience that it happens a lot in college as well.  Our case was pitchers but I've heard from a lot that they were changed, the change didn't work and then the coach didn't know how to fix it(or have the time to invest) so they were left to kind of flounder.  They get less opportunities because it isn't working and then when it doesn't work in a game, they don't go back to them, they go to an experienced transfer.  In retrospect, I would ask that question:  do you see something in my swing/pitching, that you would want to change when I get on campus.  Then decide if that is something you can work with.  Ideally, they like you how you are, because there isn't a lot of time or patience for a learning curve.