Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Reasons"

@Momball11 posted:

@baseballhs there's coaches that try to "tweak' everywhere. One time my son made an adjustment to his swing as requested by a coach and he ended up doing worse. Coach ended up just telling him to go back to what he had been doing. He's just continued developing his swing and doing what @Consultant mentioned above by self-evaluating and making adjustments game to game, even from at bat to at bat. Seems to be working for him, so he now just politely listens to coaches and keeps doing his thing. I think he's open to what coaches have to say and he's willing to see if it makes a difference, but if it doesn't feel right or it doesn't lead to an improvement...he just goes back to what he knows.

I think that is a good plan, and I think that may be easier as a hitter.  If a coach asks you to drop to submarine, it will be really obvious you aren't. In my son's case, also not that easy.  His shortened senior year, he had 1H, 1BB and 26K in 12 innings and sitting 93-94, so I'm not sure what they were fixing. He didn't get to pitch at all during fall because they were retraining his arm path.  He spent time one on one with weighted balls instead of doing bullpens. After spending four months being "coachable" he was also not better, but worse.  His coach said, "Where is the kid I recruited?"  It was very hard for him to revert back. Two other freshman were changed to side armers.  One is exclusively side arm and it does work for him.  The other moves between the two and has struggled at times with the changes.