Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Travails"

quote:
Originally posted by Glider:
quote:
I look at it the same as if it were a job, if you are not happy there, you don't care for your boss, your fellow employees, your pay, your location, you need to make a change.

An honest and direct opinion on your part. Since it is just a job, why not treat it like any other job, and establish job-finder databases that allow the greatest choices for both employee and employer? A resume could be established by the potential employee, with his high school BA/RBI/HR, GPA, SAT, PG statistics, along with recommendations from coaches. He could also establish his own filters (e.g. D1/D2/D3, position limiter, etc.). The employer would list its open positions and minimum requirements, as well as salary levels. All agreements would either be binding for an agreed period of time or, alternatively, at- will employment. Of course, any breach of contract would be subject to legal proceedings.

I do beleive that such a situation exists, called the NCAA Clearinghouse. I also beleive many coaches who are paid to recruit have huge databases. Do remember though, those coaches are in control more than the player, they can dictate what type of player they want,how many, etc., whereas the player needs to zero in and find the best program for him, not the one he WANTS to attend.

I also believe that you can find information on players through organizatons such as Perfect Game, Team One.
I also beleive HokieOne's post was excellent!

I apreciate your thinking outside of the box, but I also think lots of your ideas originate from the "inside". Good posts though and it's nice to have a thread of varing opinions with no arguments!
JMO.

Sons friend was over for dinner the other night, he played ball in HS. He is attending a state school, carries the same amount of credits that son has, and told us in no way could he ever handle what son was doing.

I imagine that is why the system is designed the way it is. The coaches have many months to study and evaluate players while in HS or JUCO's to determine if that player is right for teh "job". And this is especially true in the bigger programs. If all players came in the fall and try out, how is the coach to determine who is right for the program. By watching who plays best on the field for a few weeks? I don't think so.
Try to explain that to the fans, the alumni that pay lots of money to support those programs. I don't think so. Tell that to the coaches who gain revenues for their programs by attending national championship games, conference games, win or lose.
Last edited by TPM