Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfering from a D1 to another D1 during winter break ...can he play?"

fishnsail posted:

He was a preffered walk on with no roster spot.  Verbally at our visit before he went there they said he would have a roster spot but when it came down to commitment this is what they said:

“This letter is stating my commitment to the ****** Baseball program as a preferred walk-on for the 2018-2019
season. I understand that this is a non-binding document and I am
voluntarily attending the ******* on an academic
scholarship.  My position on the team is contingent upon following
****** Baseball team rules and standards,*******Athletic Department policies, ******* Code of Conduct, NCAA policies, as well as, maintaining a good
academic standing. I understand this letter does not guarantee a
roster or travel spot during the 2019 season or any season there
after, but acknowledges my voluntary commitment to the ******* Baseball Program.”

this was a major red flag but it was so late in the game that unfortunately we made the very wrong decision. 

then when we got to the school instead of 40-45 there was 60 looking for a roster spot. 

basically it was a huge learning process and everything happens for a reason. He seems to be going to a better academic school now and a program that wants him and doesnt over recruit.  the question is can he play this year?

Have a call scheduled with Rick today , I will find out. 

Hope this can help others in the future. 

Fishnsail,

Your candor and discretion in sharing this information and experience is precisely why this site is so valuable to families.  Best of luck to your son moving forward.  

Glad you have a phone call scheduled with Rick, at Informed Athlete this afternoon.  Rick makes his livelihood sharing his wealth of knowledge with families like yours, and mine.  We have found that his counsel is well worth the modest compensation he requests.  

Good luck.