Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfering from a D1 to another D1 during winter break ...can he play?"

Thank you everyone and I would like to keep up the current trend of telling our stories that maybe can benefit other families and players in the future :

Son flew out to visit the potential "New", transfer to school, the day after XMAS with my wife 2000 miles away. Though it was a new area for him my son immediately felt like it was a great fit.  HC met them and toured them around. School is a smaller school but much better academically with smaller classes and a great atmosphere. They seemed to hit it off and really made my son feel wanted (which is a major part of the equation).   Unlike the situation in the previous school ,which was a one sided deal (all the risk on the student athlete and zero on the school) -this school is bending over backwards to try to make this transfer smooth and do what ever they can to get him that "play this spring" waiver. 

I spoke to Rick at Informed Athlete,  a couple days ago.  He was a wealth of knowledge.  It seems that this waiver is a super longshot at best despite how it could be seen as incredibly one sided in favor of the school (in my son's case)

NCAA Division I Bylaw 14.5.5.5 Baseball and Basketball—Midyear Enrollee. In baseball and basketball, a student-athlete who initially enrolls at the certifying institution as a full-time student after the conclusion of the first term of the academic year and qualifies for an exception to the one-year residence requirement shall not be eligible for competition until the ensuing academic year.

So playing this spring seems like a real longshot, but he will be on the 35 man roster regardless, be a part of the team and be able to practice with the team.  School starts in less than 2 weeks and we are scrambling about logistical type things now, such as flying or driving out there (he wants his car,  but 2k miles 2x a year?) ,signing up for classes, all the transcripts and medical docs, the new roommate etc...

We probably won't be finding out about the waiver until End of Jan.  No problem. Son seems excited about the new school.  The previous school wasn't a good fit academically and athletically - I wish we realized that way sooner, before deciding to go there..  Life is about overcoming adversity.  Sometimes you need to make the wrong decision to find your right path. 

Will let everyone know what happens. Best wishes to all of you and thank you so much for helping out. 

Have a great 2020!

Last edited by fishnsail