Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfering from a D1 to another D1 during winter break ...can he play?"

collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:

I’m sure he finished the term and earned transferrable credits (hopefully). That takes a little of the sting out of a scenario like this, but is also illustrates that you should not go to a school you aren’t willing to stay at if baseball leaves the equation.

Not to hijack the thread, but isn't the reality for a large majority of our kids that want to continue to play baseball in college, that they will transfer for another opportunity if the 1st one doesn't work out?  I totally agree with the 40 vs 4 year philosophy, and I have also learned over the past several years that the transfer rate in baseball is very high for a large number of reasons (perhaps some reasons better than others).  I think that there are many excellent colleges out there (both regionally and nationally - obviously some much better than others) that will provide our kids with a great education and that the vast majority of our kids will graduate from college and become very productive in their chosen careers regardless of what school name is on the diploma.  Just to be clear, if baseball gets you into your dream school, prestigious HA school etc., then that's another factor to consider before leaving.  However, much like the percentage of players who make it to MLB, the percentage of students who are accepted to the more prestigious HA schools is very low, which then indicates that the majority of our kids colleges are somewhere in the middle of the bell curve on the college academic excellence scale.  Many life lessons are also learned along the way thru the transfer process and most would agree that playing on a team is a valuable life lesson in it's own right.

I agree with somebaseballdad that each family really needs to look at the total "cost" of the transfers (financial, academic impact, extra time in school, travel etc.) and how it impacts the family.  All I know is over the past several years I have come to appreciate the fact that there is no one size fits all to any of this and I really enjoy hearing the stories, struggles, advice, joys and everything in between that we share here.  Best of luck to everyone as we head into the 2020 season.