Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfering from a D1 to another D1 during winter break ...can he play?"

SomeBaseballDad posted:

There ought to be a fairly generous set of circumstances in which a player can transfer and play immediately. Change of coaches, ends up not being a good fit, new recruit takes their spot. I mean it's not the kid's fault another can play at a higher level. If there's a team that can use him where's the harm? Besides the financial, it also puts kids at risk of the 5 to play 4. If the OP's kid breaks his arm at the beginning of next season then he's not going to get to fulfill his college eligibility. Zero tolerance rules very rarely make sense and this is one of them. In a lot of cases the athlete is being punished for something out of their control.

And the whole "the student needs a chance to adjust to their new surroundings". By that way of thinking no incoming freshman should be allowed to play.

Very well said and I agree 100% !

I had always heard rumblings and grumblings about the NCAA and their rules and power over the years in the news(mainly football and basketball) and hearing some baseball stories from others and was always like "That NCAA , they have a heavy hand but maybe they have their reasons"

Then when you see it first hand- an obvious  "No Brainer" situation where the student was misled  and transferring for the betterment of themselves and at no harm to anyone at all(I am sure like 1000's of others have done in many sports)

that is when you wonder..The NCAA :

who is making the rules and final decisions?

it would seem like they are there to protect the universities way way more than the students. 

why is that? 

I am surprised that somewhere along the line no one has fully challenged them in the higher courts for many of their one sided decision making process that could help other students athletes in the future.  

it is just a thought...