Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfering from a D1 to another D1 during winter break ...can he play?"

I don't like the NCAA as much as the next guy, but to say that anybody should be able to transfer regardless of the reason is irresponsible. If there were no transfer limitations everybody would ditch their school and head to the powerhouses. I understand baseball is a bit different from football and basketball, but there will always be a problem somewhere down the line. Lets say transferring is fine anytime anywhere. Then the issue becomes transferring credits. Then when players become ineligible because their credits didn't transfer the argument turns into well the NCAA shouldn't have rules stating a player needs 24 credits in a year to remain eligible. 

I think non scholarship players should be able to transfer at any time and I think coaches should be able to sign a release for immediate eligibility for certain players who may have better opportunities elsewhere. But there are guys who are behind a stud junior who want to transfer because they don't start every game as a true freshmen too. That shouldn't be allowed. Even high schools have transfer rules so to blame the NCAA, well they're not alone. 

It happened at 2019s school. A sophomore position player did not win the starting job at his position behind a senior (who did not sign as a junior). They're putting him at third where he will still bat in the middle of the order. He would 100% be the starter next year, but instead he is transferring to their rival instead where he would have an immediate impact. Why would the coach want that? Technically he was misled by the coaching staff while being recruited. Should he get a pass or should he have to sit out?