Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfering from a D1 to another D1 during winter break ...can he play?"

ReluctantO'sFan posted:

PAbaseball,

Sounds like they needed to think about that before misleading the player. They made that bed, now they should have to sleep in it. At least that's the way I read it, but I'm sure there is a lot more to the story. Decisions like this rarely, if ever, happen in a vacuum. 

Like I said before, I'm not a big fan of the NCAA. The older I've gotten the more I see the true business side of "amateur sports".  

Who said anything about misleading? The starter was an all conference sophomore when this kid was a senior in high school. Draft didn't go his way as a junior. He's back and the younger guy is not as good, simple as that. Either way he won't be starting at SS for either team as he has to sit out a year at new school. The options were start at third and play every day or go to new school and sit every day. 

I have no dog in this fight. All I'm pointing out is that there may be circumstances in which the NCAA has it right. I believe this to be one of them. I'm not for the NCAA punishing kids who might be better off somewhere else, but I am for the NCAA protecting programs from players jumping ship to spite the coach.