Skip to main content

Reply to "Transferring to 4 Year School After 1 Year JC"

To the original poster's question:  I don't think they like it very much, and I say this because of the following experience:

I got a call from Ryan's Travel Team Coach, and he said team X wanted to offer him a substantial scholarship, but they wouldn't do it unless Ryan told his JC coach that he was leaving first, because he didn't want JC coach to be upset with him.  They have a relationship, and the coach takes a lot of players from the JC.  

I guess if they didn't have a relationship, it wouldn't have been a big deal.  I am basically saying that I think the answer is, it depends on the situation.  Some players have left Ryan's JC, and it didn't seem like the staff thought it was a big deal, but the fact that the 4 year coach went undercover with his request tells me that there could be some issues with some coaches depending on the situation.

There was absolutely no way I would have let Ryan tell the JC he was leaving without a bird in hand, because he wouldn't have had any leverage at that point.  The 4 year school would have had to give Ryan a concrete offer first, or it was a no deal.  I thought what the coach was asking was ridiculous.