Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - Good and Bad......."

Golfman, I'm truly sorry your kids had such poor rec experiences.  We were fortunate in that our kids really enjoyed playing rec soccer, CYO basketball, and Little League in our area.  Though each did go on to play at least one of those sports in a more competitive AAU or travel environment, their rec experiences were like nothing you describe.  Our local Little League, though it has its share of politics, like all baseball organizations at any level, is a vibrant and fun place, and all divisions of play Majors and below are at 100% capacity every year.  Most local kids who play travel keep playing there as well through 12U; they like playing with their friends.  The few who do not often show up to see their friends play.  And lots and lots of kids get their parents to drop them at the park after practice when they don't have a game so that they can  hang out with their pals.  It's truly a special place and I'm sure my kids will remember it fondly for the rest of their lives. I know that I will.