Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - Good and Bad......."

Originally Posted by Greg65:

Travelball, club, whatever you call it is bad for sports and bad for kids... here's why.  Kids should be kids, let's not forget that most of the players we are talking about were sleeping with teddy bears five years ago. I can't get my daughter out of bed for school right now because we spent a total of 24 hours traveling to, and playing in a soccer tournament this weekend. My boy (who is a phenomenal pitcher) wants to quit because his last season was daddy ball at its best and he too is burned out having spent every weekend playing tournaments and not playing with friends. Most of these kids will NOT play college and will NOT get scholarships. Their memories of sports when they grow up will NOT be fond... exhaustion, sitting in cars for hours, overbearing daddys, ridiculously intense coaches who want to win at any cost so they can increase their roster (bottom line) next year. It's a puppy mill of players.  Not to mention repetitive motion and other injuries. Most will quit by age 15. And, you are robbing rec of all their good players, the result? Rec leagues are having trouble fielding teams and getting fields to play on. My local LL could only get together enough kids for 4 teams for fall ball this year (at all ages), so we are robbing the mediocre kids of their chance to play ball too. In the long run, big picture, it's bad for kids and bad for sports. You people need to keep parenting in perspective. 

I went back to read this and if your kids are burned out then why are you making them play?  That's on you not the league or travel ball.  Regardless of your sons talent if he doesn't love the game then let him stop playing.  I know a kid that threw 88 as a freshman that just quit one day because he didn't like it As much as running with his buddies.  some kids love it some don't.  Find something else for them to do.